Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's in your PC? My new hobby, PC build's. Here's my first, any suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in your PC? My new hobby, PC build's. Here's my first, any suggestions?

I am staring a new hobby. I have built a few older computers before, but never something like this. I bought a few items today, picture posted here.
    Here is a list of my rig so far:
    1- Mid tower, Thermaltake M9
    1- Asus motherboard, P6X58D-E intel i7 X58 LGA1366 DDR3
    1- CPU i7 core 950 3.06GHz s1366, ordered. Maybe in for next week!
    1- PSU Thermaltake 600w "TR2"
    4- sticks RAM 1333MHz DDR3 (4x2G)
    1- Home Theater video card Asus EAH4350 silent 512mb for my Flat Screen
    1- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    What are your suggestions for CPU cooling besides the stock fan? I don't want liquid.
    What are your suggestions for a good multi monitor gaming graphics card. I don't play much but like to play Mafia 2, Unreal Tournament 3, and similar games.
    What type of hard drives do you recommend? I am iffy about SSD drives, should I invest in those or stay with normal 6g sata?
    Any tips on making this a sturdy build.
    I know this isn't a computer site, but thought this would be a fun thread to get into and to show my progress as I go.
    This will be hooked up to my home theater system for which I built my "Flexy rack" I posted in an earlier thread.
    So I am open to any suggestions and idea's about what you all have done to your rig's. Any cool easy mod's I may want to look into to make this a nice looking piece. I am not gimmicky, but would like it to be unique as I like my living room to be as up to date as possible.SSPX0187.jpg
    [COLOR=red][I]Never pass up the opportunity to shut up. A smart man knows what to say.
    A wise man knows if he should say it or not[/I][/COLOR]
    I should heed this good advice sometimes

Re: What's in your PC? My new hobby, PC build's. Here's my first, any suggestions?

Ha, I love building them... but can't afford any parts these days

The most offensive thing you can do to a feminist is treat her with FULL equality.
    --Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.--

Antimisandry now offers it's members personal sub-forums
    (click here to register yours)

►A Decade of Investment in YOUR Future. ►AntiMisandry.com[/CENTER]

Comment

Re: What's in your PC? My new hobby, PC build's. Here's my first, any suggestions?

Building and tweaking with computers is fun, but high-end parts are a bit out of my budget lately. So because of the financial constraints I tend to build smaller systems, like embedded systems (ussualy based on ARM CPUs and AVR microcontrollers). That is a quite different thing from tweaking computers though.

As for SSD drives, they are great when it comes to performance, but their limited amount of writes is quite a disadvantage. I'd say stick with normal 6G SATA and configure (at least) two HDDs in a RAID 0 configuration. In RAID 0, you basically stripe data over multiple discs. Because you can read/write to multiple discs at the same time, you can read and write more data at once. Ýou will have to research if the improved performance is significant enough, as striping your data over multiple discs means that there is an increased risk of losing data as it takes only a single crashed disc to make the data on the other discs unreadable as well (more discs, higher odds of a crash occuring). Though perhaps a so-called RAID 10 might be a solution here as it will stripe and mirror your data. Disadvantage here is that you can only utilize half of your storage capacity as the data gets written twice on seperate disks and thus you always have a backup of your data.

Perhaps that might help you out a bit.

Comment

Quote from Marx View Post
        Ha, I love building them... but can't afford any parts these days
        Yeah, kinda like me with drag racing. Love to build em, just don't have that extra cash anymore. I remember back in the day, my 84 Mustang GT was king of the street with junk yard parts I threw at it once every other weekend. I remember going to local plumbing supply and buying some thick chain link to hold my engine in place so as not to rip motor mounts out. Those days are gone now, and price of gas would cost me a bundle just to get to the strip.SSPX0155.jpgHere's a picture of a picture of that old 'stang.
        [COLOR=red][I]Never pass up the opportunity to shut up. A smart man knows what to say.

Comment

I used to build my own PC's but last year I chose to buy a pre-built PC for one reason, OEM Windows. You see I bought Windows XP at launch in Oct 2001 and within a year had already run out of internet activations so that meant for 8 years I had to call Microsoft everytime I reinstalled Windows (twice a year on average) and get a new number so I could pass activation.

I learned by fixing everyone else's Dell's, HP's. etc... that they never had to activate Windows, only the people who bought Windows at retail had to activate it. So, when I decided to upgrade to Win 7 I bought a pre-built PC then bought a new video card, new power supply and an extra case fan and have happily been gaming with it for a year with no problem. I have reinstalled Win 7 2 times since then and again...no problem with activation.
          [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]If a father can't afford to pay for a child he will lose his drivers license, passport, go to jail, etc... If a mother can't afford to pay for a child she will get food stamps, medicaid welfare, etc...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Quote from Garak View Post
            ...I chose to buy a pre-built PC for one reason, OEM Windows.
            And when you try to install MS products on a machine different (or heavily upgraded) from the one it was specified for - it will no longer allow you to use it. I'm running an OEM on my laptop and have installed linux alongside Windoze. Further, for time-saving, I figured I'd install a virtual pc on linux to run the windoze from. If it went all without issue, I'd use it that way instead of rebooting into XP.

Sadly, attempts to install it ended at the 30day activation. I made the call to get the code and the automated numbers for it did not work.

The most offensive thing you can do to a feminist is treat her with FULL equality.
            --Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.--

Antimisandry now offers it's members personal sub-forums
            (click here to register yours)

►A Decade of Investment in YOUR Future. ►AntiMisandry.com[/CENTER]

Comment

How odd, I have windows ultimate 7 32 bit, works like a charm on anything I throw at it. Whats a code? You need one? I am working on a windows 7 64 bit right now. Hope it will as foolproof as the 32 for my new build, cuz I am going for way more ram. I use my home theater alot so video editing will be eating up alot of my cores and ram. 64 bit will be a must. I hope I don't run into the same problems as you guys. I think it's all about the Cra%K. P.M. me if you want codes for w7. I got all makes and models, over 100 good ones. Do you have the WAT update installed, KB971033? If yes you may have got flagged as non-genuine, in order to become genuine again just do the following.

* Launch the loader application and select to uninstall
              * Restart the PC
              * Install the loader and restart the PC
              * Visit the following website to revalidate Windows: Genuine Microsoft Software (You may need to set IE to compatibility mode!)
              Last edited by nickb275; 6th-March-2011, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Quote from Marx View Post
                And when you try to install MS products on a machine different (or heavily upgraded) from the one it was specified for - it will no longer allow you to use it. I'm running an OEM on my laptop and have installed linux alongside Windoze. Further, for time-saving, I figured I'd install a virtual pc on linux to run the windoze from. If it went all without issue, I'd use it that way instead of rebooting into XP.

Sadly, attempts to install it ended at the 30day activation. I made the call to get the code and the automated numbers for it did not work.
                Yes, the OEM version of Windows only works on the PC it was intended for but I have already added a video card to it. Really the only thing that should cause it to deny an activation is a different motherboard. Atleast that has been my experience with the OEM copies of XP.

Look, I think it's clear you don't like Windows and that's your business but I have tried to run Ubuntu and I'll tell you that it isn't worth fucking with. You think Windows Vista was a nagger, you can't fuckin' edit a text file in Linux without being nagged to put in a password. Further, any reason why they can't fuckin' label drives in Linux? Is it so hard to put a letter, number or even word on a drive? Just a big cluster fuck and at the end of the day if you wanna play PC games, Linux is pretty useless. Sure you can fuck around with Wine or you can just go to Windows and run the damn game properly without having to rewrite the OS just to make Morrowind run with audio. Hell, at the end of the day there is nothing on Linux you can't do EASIER on Windows.

I hate the damn DRM too which is EXACTLY why I took steps to avoid it this time around but let's be clear, I'll make 2 phone calls a year before I'll go back to wasting time trying to learn an OS that isn't worth learning as it doesn't add any benefits over Windows.

My apologies for getting pissy but i have come to hate the elitist "Windoze sucks. Linux rulz!" bullshit. In fact, Windows rules as that's what most of the world uses.
                [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]If a father can't afford to pay for a child he will lose his drivers license, passport, go to jail, etc... If a mother can't afford to pay for a child she will get food stamps, medicaid welfare, etc...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Quote from nickb275 View Post
                  What are your suggestions for a good multi monitor gaming graphics card. I don't play much but like to play Mafia 2, Unreal Tournament 3, and similar games.
                  Those games are somewhat dated, better is to use current graphics intensive games for comparison like Crysis 2. Your monster-PC specs (for 2011), should offer top performance for a couple of years without any problems. I recommend a top of the line NVIDIA video card (value for money) such as the GeForce GTX 560 Ti. See this article for example.

What type of hard drives do you recommend? I am iffy about SSD drives, should I invest in those or stay with normal 6g sata?
                  Not sure about internal hard-drives. 1 TB capacity is normal nowadays.
                  ~ Support Fathers & Families for Father's Rights and Equal Parenting! Go to fathersandfamilies.org ~

~ Fathers & FamiliesTM improves the lives of children and strengthens society by protecting the child’s right to the love and care of both parents after separation or divorce. ~

~ Feminism = Every bad thing any man has ever committed highlighted and exaggerated; every bit of good systematically undermined, vilified or ignored. ~

~ A man needs a woman like a lion needs a stove. ~

~ Women deserve only equal opportunity, not equal outcomes. ~

~ Men are not collectively "guilty" of anything. ~

~ Never needing to be pregnant is a blessing. ~

~ Feminist ideology “men have to respect women, but women have no reason to respect men” ~

~ Everybody makes choices, and nobody should be entitled to special treatment because of those choices.
                  Equal results based on unequal treatment amounts to no kind of equality at all. ~

Comment

Quote from Garak View Post
                    Yes, the OEM version of Windows only works on the PC it was intended for but I have already added a video card to it. Really the only thing that should cause it to deny an activation is a different motherboard. Atleast that has been my experience with the OEM copies of XP.

Look, I think it's clear you don't like Windows and that's your business but I have tried to run Ubuntu and I'll tell you that it isn't worth fucking with. You think Windows Vista was a nagger, you can't fuckin' edit a text file in Linux without being nagged to put in a password. Further, any reason why they can't fuckin' label drives in Linux? Is it so hard to put a letter, number or even word on a drive? Just a big cluster fuck and at the end of the day if you wanna play PC games, Linux is pretty useless. Sure you can fuck around with Wine or you can just go to Windows and run the damn game properly without having to rewrite the OS just to make Morrowind run with audio. Hell, at the end of the day there is nothing on Linux you can't do EASIER on Windows.

I hate the damn DRM too which is EXACTLY why I took steps to avoid it this time around but let's be clear, I'll make 2 phone calls a year before I'll go back to wasting time trying to learn an OS that isn't worth learning as it doesn't add any benefits over Windows.

My apologies for getting pissy but i have come to hate the elitist "Windoze sucks. Linux rulz!" bullshit. In fact, Windows rules as that's what most of the world uses.
                    While I personally 'find the 'Windos suck, Linux rules' a bit too inaccurate (since both platforms have bugs, pros and cons), it is also incorrect to say that Windows rules because it's the most used platform (it only rules as 'market leader', but in terms of quality that is incorrect) and that Linux can't do anything that Windows can't. Let's be honest, games run on Windows because they are made for Windows.

For things else than gaming however, Linux works fine. I have worked with both systems for a long time and I really can't say Windows is superior by a long shot. They both work fine, albeit different. It's just a matter of whatever floats your boat.
                    Last edited by Nynrah Ghost; 6th-March-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Quote from Nynrah Ghost View Post
                      While I personally 'find the 'Windos suck, Linux rules' a bit too inaccurate (since both platforms have bugs, pros and cons), it is also stupid to say that windows rules because it's the most used platform and that Linux can't do anything that Windows can't. Let's be honest, games run on Windows because they are made for Windows...

If you do anything else than gaming however, Linux works fine. I have worked with both systems for a long time and I really can't say Windows is superior by a long shot. They both work fine, albeit different. It's just a matter of whatever floats your boat.
                      Games are made for Windows because it has the largest market share (it is the ruling OS). Linux MAY wok fine for everything else if you are willing to use cloned versions of commercial software. I never could find a decent media player that compared to options available for Windows. Bottom line, Linux may be fine for everything except gaming but Windows is fine for everything INCLUDING gaming.

Besides, it's the hardcore PC gamer who would be more patient tinkering with Linux but without game support, gamers have no motivation to bother with Linux. So long as this problem is not addressed Linux will remain a very small market share.

Let me add that Win 7 64 bit has been rock solid in the year that I have had it. Win XP was pretty damn solid for the 9 years I used it too. My experience with Linux was not solid.

Comment

Games are made for Windows because it has the largest market share (it is the ruling OS). Linux MAY wok fine for everything else if you are willing to use cloned versions of commercial software. I never could find a decent media player that compared to options available for Windows. Bottom line, Linux may be fine for everything except gaming but Windows is fine for everything INCLUDING gaming.

Besides, it's the hardcore PC gamer who would be more patient tinkering with Linux but without game support, gamers have no motivation to bother with Linux. So long as this problem is not addressed Linux will remain a very small market share.

Let me add that Win 7 64 bit has been rock solid in the year that I have had it. Win XP was pretty damn solid for the 9 years I used it too. My experience with Linux was not solid.
                        Just to mention a few points...

I experience Linux as being very robust in terms of security. It has fine access permission systems that I find lacking in Windows.

The open-source nature of Linux allows me to easily modify programs that I find lacking (granted, an ordinary consumer won't be able to, but I don't believe everything must be considered from a ordinary consumer viewpoint as otherwise you can never take anything advanced into account...).

The distribution system is also a pro IMO. Folks can pick whatever distribution fits their needs best.

In my experience my Linux system has provided a consistent high-performance and also handles multiple users simultanously very well. The multitasking abilities also do not dissapoint me at all.

There are simply differences that suit different needs. There is more in the world than merely playing games and that single experience is not authoritative by far. Both systems fit different needs and there's no such thing as Windows can do everything Linux can, that is an outright fallacy and it is that over which I actually stumbled. There are plenty of situations I prefer a Linux system just as there are moments I prefer a Windows system.

Fun fact: Linux leads by a long shot when it comes to server applications.

Comment

Quote from Nynrah Ghost View Post
                          Just to mention a few points...

I experience Linux as being very robust in terms of security. It has fine access permission systems that I find lacking in Windows.

The open-source nature of Linux allows me to easily modify programs that I find lacking (granted, an ordinary consumer won't be able to, but I don't believe everything must be considered from a ordinary consumer viewpoint as otherwise you can never take anything advanced into account...).

The distribution system is also a pro IMO. Folks can pick whatever distribution fits their needs best.

In my experience my Linux system has provided a consistent high-performance and also handles multiple users simultanously very well. The multitasking abilities also do not dissapoint me at all.

There are simply differences that suit different needs. There is more in the world than merely playing games and that single experience is not authoritative by far. Both systems fit different needs and there's no such thing as Windows can do everything Linux can, that is an outright fallacy and it is that over which I actually stumbled. There are plenty of situations I prefer a Linux system just as there are moments I prefer a Windows system.

Fun fact: Linux leads by a long shot when it comes to server applications.
                          Yes, Linux is great for servers but for everyday desktop usage by Joe Average it sucks.

Linux is freely available and even has Live discs to make it easier for Joe Average so I I tend to think there are plenty of people who have tried Linux and found it not as good as Windows and I'll bet the number one reason is that it doesn't run the software they are used to, games included.

I have seen the argument that games aren't that important, that people could buy a console for gaming and use Linux for work and web browsing. Well, that's more like a downgrade because most people are used to be able to all of that on Windows. The gaming industry is as big as Hollywood these days, as long as Linux ignores all of those people it will remain small.

Those security options you talk about? Yeah, when Vista emplyed "Are you sure" dialog boxes people complained because it's nagware. Linux is even worse, you don't just click yes, you type in your password. Linux is more like a forced strip search at the airport, it's security is over the top and annoying.

Windows 7 has it's share of annoying security dialog boxes "Do you want to install or run the program on the DVD you just inserted in your drive?". Not as bad as Vista though and certainly not as bad as Linux. All those distros also drive people away, it's hard enough to determine which version of Windows 7 Joe Average should get but the prices and the names act as a guide. Home Premium vs Ultimate for example. With Linux it's Ubuntu, RedHat, etc....

I know it's cool to hate on "Windoze" but really it got old years ago and everyone I have met seems to be very happy with Win 7.

Comment

I have ubuntu in most of the 64 bit versions on DVD bootable disks. And that is where they stay, on the DVD. I have always been surprised at how ubuntu works faster for web activity, but for the rest, I really prefer the ease of Win 7. I am NOT a PC freak by any means, I enjoy spending time having FUN on it. Linux drags me down with all the code and unorthodox wording and expressions. I guess I would have to use the OS ubuntu strictly by itself for over a few months to get me used to it.
                            Here is the BIG WHY I don't use linux, WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER. It's all about features, I couldn't care less about the programming involved behind it or it's philosophy. I just want something user friendly that I can use and forget about it, not get frustrated at, etc.
                            I was intending to do just that when my new PC will be up and ready for a new OS, I was going to install only ubuntu 10.04.
                            But then I thought about not having Window media center. I enjoy the media extender alot for watching movies on my extreme home theater. I hate spending money on things. Period, so I download 24/7. Every thing on my computer comes from pirate bay, Ahashare, H33t. I refuse to pay a red cent for anything except hardware. Why rent a movie when I get it three days before it out in cinema, and three weeks out in rental outlet, in blue ray, HD and with 5.1 surround.
                            I have more than enough speakers and amp power to shake a stick at and just love feeling the rush of a good movie while AT HOME smoking a cigarette, scratching my balls, doing dishes etc.
                            This new pc will take the my experience in theater to a whole new level, plus I get to play all those awesome games I see every where, but can't even start up with the shitbox I have now. Don't laugh please, it's an HP dc7100, running win 7 32b. 4gb ram, but OS only see 3.4gb. So I watch my movies through y xbox360 with the media center included in win7 that Linux has not yet seem to have anything close to it. Funny thing about anti-virus's, I use AVG free, never have any issues whatsoever with a virus. And trust me ppl, I download all kinds of stuff. I tried kapersky 11, Mcafee, norton. They all sucked!! If I want a crack to pass, I just disable protection for it, and it resumes itself after a time-out period. Love AVG. Love the word FREE!!!
                            Can,Twait to get this new PC up, I was playing Streetfighter IV which I got the other day for fun, man, unplayable!! Need more power scotty!!

Comment

I use the free Microsoft Security Essentials and haven't had a single problem with viruses or malware. I gave up Norton long ago when it was clear that it was just expensive bloatware that brings otherwise fast PC's to a crawl. I really don't think Linux is more secure than Windows, I think it's just that there are alot more hackers trying to get into Windows than there are hackers trying to get into Linux. Naturally more are going to succeed.

Yeah, the terminology is just off too. GRUB, for example...who the hell would know what it's purpose is just by hearing the name? It sounds like dinnertime with Timon and Pumba.

Comment

Working...
                              X